Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mom Update:  Mom has been having several complications recently.  She is having a congestive heart failure flare up and the cardiologist made some adjustments to a couple of medications that has caused decreased kidney function.  Her kidney function was already only about 30% and with this last medication adjustment, her kidney function has decreased to 20%.  In addition to the decreased kidney function, there has been fluid retention not only in her legs, but in her lungs and around her heart.  

It's frustrating when there are several different doctors involved and they aren't communicating with each other.  Each doctor gets a copy of all labs regardless of which doctor ordered them.  Now we're getting different, conflicting orders from each doctor and it's becoming more difficult to know which order to follow.  Certainly there has to be a better way.  If mom were in the hospital, the doctors and nurses would be having daily conferences on her status and what the treatment plan would be.  There should be a system in place for the same type of conferences to take place when a patient is not in a hospital.

We saw the oncologist today and mom has begun a new chemo treatment plan.  She will have a treatment every two months for the next two years.  The hope is that the lymphoma will be in remission at the end of the two years.  If, during the two year treatment period, the lymphoma worsens, then the treatment will have to be changed to another, stronger chemo medication.

The coming weeks will be filled with more tests, labwork and doctor appointments.  My calendar for June is already filled with just mom's medical stuff.  I was hoping my vacation time would be spent on vacation, not medical appointments.

Don't misunderstand, I'm thankful that I still have my mom here, but all this medical stuff has been going on for such a long time.  Even though I have three other siblings, I'm the only one carrying the full responsibility for my mom.

Thanks for listening and all your support and prayers.  They mean so much to me!   

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Pam. Your Mom's heart problems sound a lot like what my Dad went through when he was having congestive heart failure.

    I'm with you... One would think the doctors could have a conference in order to decide on the best plan of action.

    Even though you have your plate full with all these appointments and stress, do take some time for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand completely. I am generally the dependable child that takes care of everything that needs done. I love the time spent, but I wish it could be in a more relaxed and natural manner. I hope everything works out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you and your mom during her illness.I understand the stress of taking on everything yourself. Try to relax a bit and maybe even delegate. I know it would be hard for me to do for my parents because I am 2,000 miles away, but I'd still help w/ what I could when possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From one reliable daughter to another, do not be afraid to take a little time for yourself i nbetween appointments to do something special for yourself... Holding up the world on your own can get mighty tiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry things are tough for you - have you asked mom's primary care doctor if he'll also serve as medical coordinator? He may not, but if he will then he could decide which conflicting orders to follow instead of you. Your mom's insurance might also have someone who does that, because it helps the insurance company when all the doctors are on the same page. Good luck with it all. PBS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending time with me and visiting my blog. I love hearing from you and your comments are most appreciated! If you are set as "no reply", I won't be able to reply to your comments.