Sunday, June 27, 2021

Summer

Hello Friends,

I'm shocked that it's been so long since I've updated my blog.  

We've gone from winter coats...



to short sleeves...

Baby L and Hazel "talking" to Duke, the neighbor's dog, sticking his nose under the fence.

to playing in water on a hot day.

I've have not done any stitching or crocheting, but have made a few cards.







Hubby decided to try self-wicking flower buckets this year.  He watched a few youtube tutorials and scavenged through the shed for things he could use.  Hubby used some drainage tubing in the bottom of 5 gallon buckets and pvc pipe with cut water bottles as funnels for watering.  These are the buckets right after planting on May 15.




The pics below are how the buckets look today.  The flowers have filled in so much that the buckets are barely visible.



I have had good, consistent results with Proven Winners Supertunias so I purchased those again this year.  I usually stick with the various shades of pink, purple and white Supertunias and decided to try yellow and red Supertunias this year too.  

I also added some Superbena Sparkling Amethyst.  I love that each little flower has multiple shades of purple...


and Superbena Sparkling Rose with its little flowers of different shades of pink.


So far, we've been very pleased with how the self-wicking buckets are working.  We've had some very hot and humid days with very little rain (until this past weekend) and I've only had to fill the buckets every couple of days.  I do still use liquid fertilizer in the buckets once a week. 

I love it when a perennial reappears after being gone for a few years.  This Coreopsis (tickseed) was planted about five years ago, disappeared for a couple of years and reappeared last summer.  

It is doing really well this year too.



Wishing my USA friends a safe and
Happy 4th of July!

Until next time,
Happy Stitchin'






 



9 comments:

  1. Your flowers are looking fabulous. Interesting idea on the self-wicking buckets. Baby L is adorable. Your patriotic pieces are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again! I meant to say your cards are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your gorgeous flowers! Your stitched patriotic pieces are so pretty. Have a great Fourth my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THE CARDS SO PRETTY.
    BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS AND CUTE LITTLE ONES .
    LOVELY POST.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my your grandson has grown so much, Pam! He is darling! Mine turns one next week--can't believe how quickly that first year goes. Love your cards--I always wondered how cards are stitched like that one of yours? Do you use a regular machine or is there some special thing for cards? Obviously I'm not a card maker--ha ha!

    Your flowers are beautiful--I will have to check out those videos for the self-wicking! And I love your final photos--the patriotic pieces are all so lovely. Happy July to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers are so pretty. I also love the supertunias but I have trouble finding colors except Bubblegum. Your little grandson is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your flowers, they are looking gorgeous.
    Pretty cards and lovely patriotic collections.
    Great pictures of your Grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute little guy.
    Your flowers are beautiful.
    Love your Patriotic finishes.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your plantings look gorgeous. You certainly have a green thumb. I love gardening and the anticipation of the beautiful flowers to come. The little guy is growing too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending time with me and visiting my blog. I love hearing from you and your comments are most appreciated! If you are set as "no reply", I won't be able to reply to your comments.