Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Happy 2021!

Hello Friends!

I hope 2021 is off to a good start for you.  

We celebrated Christmas Eve quietly with our oldest daughter, son-in-law and Baby L.  It was so fun to watch Baby L try to open his presents.  He was more interested in the wrapping paper, bows and packaging than the actual gift.

Baby L got this bunny suit (similar to the one worn in the Christmas Story movie) from our youngest daughter.  He wasn't too excited about it on Christmas Eve, but it has been a nice, warm suit to wear when going for a winter ride around the block in his wagon. 

I stitched this for Baby L's first Christmas.  I plan on stitching a special ornament for him each year.

Prairie Schooler - Button Up
Stitched on Perforated Paper with DMC floss.


These are the Christmas ornaments I made for family this year.  The pattern is my adaptation of Christmas Joy by Stitchy Fish Designs from the 2019 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue.  I stitched them on random sparkly fabrics from my stash with DMC floss.  The branches are stitched freehand and I added beads and a button.


I didn't have any trim for the edge and couldn't run out in the middle of the night to buy trim.  Palastrina stitch to the rescue!  I watched a couple tutorial videos, practiced on some scraps and away I went.  I used #8 crochet thread and a big, sharp needle.  I love how it turned out and plan to use it again.


On January 14, we celebrated Baby L's first birthday virtually with a cake smash.  It was mine and Hubby's first time using a virtual meeting site.  Hubby didn't have the settings quite right so we pretty much missed the whole thing.  I did manage to capture one, not very good, picture though.  


After losing my project bag in May, along with the baby sampler I had been working on for Baby L, I couldn't bring myself to restitch that baby sampler.  So instead, I used some of the critters and trees from Welcome to the Forest by Country Cottage Needleworks to create this baby sampler.

This is stitched on 36 count hand-dyed fabric I found in my stash.  The glass and reflection makes it difficult to see the true fabric color in the picture, but the color is light tan with slightly darker tan areas.  I used DMC floss and mounted the stitched piece in a shadowbox frame from Hobby Lobby.  This was given for his first birthday.

We had an ice and snow storm with strong winds over New Year's.  The ice, snow, and frost that coated everything lasted almost 2 weeks because we didn't see the sun for 17 days.  While it looked beautiful, it was very dangerous.  Many trees had been toppled, had limbs that had fallen or had broken limbs ready to fall.  We don't usually have anything like this for more than a day or two.
  


Here's a few photos from my days with Baby L.  

Watching the village backhoe working down the street.

Kicking Hazel's tennis ball from one end of the room to the other.

"Vacuuming" the floor with a toy from Grandpa's childhood.

Swiffering


Re-organizing the canned food cabinet.

"Bubble Guppies" is his favorite cartoon.

Dragging Grandpa's shoes and slippers everywhere.

Watching the dogs in the backyard.

I had a total grandma fail last week.  Baby L was getting into something he shouldn't and I firmly told him NO.  He looked at me with wide eyes and started to smile - just a little at the corners of his mouth.  I covered my mouth with my hand so he couldn't see me fighting to keep a straight face.  Oh! My! Goodness!  He figured it out and let me have his biggest smile with a giggle to go with it.  I couldn't stop myself from smiling and giggling too, which made him giggle even more.


Our youngest daughter graduates from Captain's training on February 5.  Due to COVID, we can't attend and she thinks they won't have a ceremony.  I'm hoping if they do have a ceremony they will either stream it or someone will take pictures.  She has about a week to travel from Virginia back to Texas.  DD was going to come home during that time, but she didn't want to possibly get exposed to the virus while traveling and then bring it here.  It's been over a year since we've seen her.

I hope and pray you are all healthy and safe!

Until next time,

Happy Stitchin' 





4 comments:

  1. What a lovely family post , baby L is so cute , and just like my GGC into everything made me smile.
    Lovely stitching and finishing .
    And what allot of Snow , here in the UK we have not had much where we are , but up in Scotland have had allot.
    Take care and stay safe .

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun pictures of Baby L! Hard to believe he is a year old! Congratulations and best wishes to your youngest as she completes Captain training. Be well, Pam. Happy February!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to read your update this morning, Pam! Can hardly believe your sweet grandson is now one (his birthday is just two days before mine)! Oh, my, can time just slow down a bit??? He looks adorable in his fluffy bunny suit and I love the photos of him in his little slippers. Just precious! He looks like a wonderful little "helper!"

    I'm so glad you were able to celebrate Christmas with your daughter's family. The ornament for Baby L is so cute and I love the birth sampler you've stitched. I still feel so terrible that you lost your project bag and all the contents. I can't imagine! Hope 2021 is a better year for all ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby L is too cute!
    Love that Birth Sampler, great idea.
    We had that Hoar Frost here too, it did last long.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending time with me and visiting my blog. I love hearing from you and your comments are most appreciated! If you are set as "no reply", I won't be able to reply to your comments.