Sunday, November 18, 2012

M-O-M, WHY ARE THERE YARN BALLS IN THE DRYER?



Ok, I admit this wasn't my best use for wool yarn, but I read about how someone was using wool yarn balls in her dryer to control static and soften her clothes.  I can't even tell you which blog I found this on because I was laying in bed using my iPod during one of my late night blog hopping sessions.

I had been given the wool yarn, so it didn't cost me anything and I thought why not try it.  Bottom line -- for me, the yarn balls do nothing for controlling the static and it's hard to say about the softness.  They do, however, help my laundry dry faster and for that reason, I'm leaving them in the dryer.



With my oldest daughter moving into her new home, I find I have an empty room, so I've been going through boxes, re-arranging rooms and moving furniture. 

I found this little scrap of aida that my youngest daughter stitched when she was around 7 or 8.  I will be finding a way to display this little keepsake.



í í í í í í í í


A while back, I found a package of sandwich bread dated almost 4 weeks earlier.  I picked the package up, expecting to find dry, fuzzy, green bread.  What I found was bread that was still very soft and moist and not a speck of mold anywhere.   This is very disturbing to me!

So this is how we get our bread now.

















I'm still trying to perfect my recipe for a softer crust.  At least I know what's in my bread and I don't have to worry about why store bought bread doesn't get moldy even after several weeks.

I'm looking forward to a long weekend.  How about you?

 



 

7 comments:

  1. Too coincidental!! The BF brought over his breadmaker and we made homemade Italian bread this weekend. It was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little piece your youngest made! Definitely a keeper.
    Good call on the bread. Scary what gets in our food to preserve it!
    Heidi-ILCS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard about using wool yarn balls in the dryer--something to try. And, the preservatives in our food is a very scary thought, for sure!

    Your daughter's stitching that you found is such a wonderful treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love homemade bread!

    Oh what a precious keepsake. A treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cute little piece that your daughter stitched.

    I love homemade bread and now you know what is in your bread, no preservatives.

    Marl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the keepsake!

    In Cambodia, our bread started molding after 2 days because it was made fresh. Always made me wonder what's in American bread!!

    - Lisa N.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - you were disappointed that you didn't have moldy food? I know what you mean about the preservatives, it's just a funny to imagine you being relieved and delighted to see blue fuzzy bread. That's a treasure you found in your daughter's room - good for you looking for a way to display it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending time with me and visiting my blog. I love hearing from you and your comments are most appreciated! If you are set as "no reply", I won't be able to reply to your comments.