Monday, February 25, 2013

SIGNS OF SPRING

The Goldfinches are showing more gold color.

I just liked this pic :)

This bird and I both think the trees are starting to bud.



~~ NEW BACKYARD VISITORS ~~
 Grackles
 I thought I had a backyard full of
angry looking Grackles.



 Actually, I had lots more of these:
 I believe these are 
European Starlings

It wasn't until I uploaded these pics to my computer
that I was able to see their beautiful colors and spots.


Like Grackles, they are considered a nuisance bird. 

I thought these birds were a beautiful
sight on one of our most bitterly cold winter days.


Edited:  I wrote this post a few days before we had our *snow storm* last Thursday.  The weather people said the jetstream changed course and took all the moisture with it and that's why we didn't get the 8-12 inches of snow originally predicted.

We have another snow storm forecasted for tomorrow.  Supposedly we're going to get 7-10 inches out of this one.  We really need the moisture, but I'd much rather have it in the form of rain.
 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. Colin and I love watching the birds in our garden. We have a bird house table and also hanging feeders in our little apple tree.
    We have lots of Blue Tits, Bramblings, Pied Wagtails, Jays, Great Tits, Cold Tits, Black Birds, Song Thrushes, Mistle Thrushes, Chafinch's at the moment and two Robins that live in our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam - It is interesting that you have Goldfinches -- I do not have even one at this time of year. I do have a few Starlings year around and I am of the camp that considers them pests - they like my suet feeder and I'd much prefer to have Jays, Thrushes and Woodpeckers working the suet. Your House Finch shot is great. With snow on the way you probably do not want to hear that yesterday was 53F here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wish it were spring!! We're due for a boatload more snow, ya know. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the birds. Did you know the Starlings loose their spotty feathers in spring/summer? How cool is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures Pam! We see a few smaller birds but the crows hold court and keep everyone away.
    Just keep thinking spring....hopefully you don't get too much snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your bird photos are amazing, Pam--I especially love that second shot, too! I hope you don't get your forecast snow--but, as you say, the moisture is certainly needed...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending time with me and visiting my blog. I love hearing from you and your comments are most appreciated! If you are set as "no reply", I won't be able to reply to your comments.